Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Miracles!

Woman, 21, who was told she was infertile after battling cancer TWICE has 'miracle' baby 
Madeleine battled Hodgkin's Lymphoma twice in 18 months 
Has miracle baby with partner she met during chemotherapy

      A young cancer victim told she was infertile after having more than 300 hours of chemotherapy is finally enjoying motherhood after the birth of her "miracle" baby.
Madeleine Telfer, 21, lost two-and-a-half stone in weight after battling Hodgkin's Lymphoma TWICE in 18 months.
     She was devastated when doctors warned her that the constant chemotherapy had probably left her infertile and she would never have children.  But less than a year later she was stunned to discover she had fallen pregnant with partner Stephen Batey, 27, who she met during her treatment.
      Madeleine Telfer with her partner Stephen Datey and her miracle baby boy Harris who was born on November 27, 2011
      Now the couple are celebrating the birth of their "miracle" baby Harris, who is two months old.
    Madeleine, who is now trying for her second child, said: 'All I ever wanted was a family. It's something I've dreamed of since I was a wee girl.
    'And when the doctors told me I would be infertile I was distraught.
    'Of course, losing your fertility is a small price to pay to save your life, but I was devastated.
    'When I found out I was expecting Harris, I don't think I've ever been so happy.'
   Three sisters take drastic step of having their breasts AND wombs removed to avoid hereditary cancer death sentence that killed their mother at just 32
     In August 2008 Madeleine was a normal teenager studying child care when she began to feel ill.
    Her glands swelled up and she lost two and a half stone in just a few weeks.
  Her worried parents Robin, 52, and Careen, 49, took their daughter to Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock, Scotland, where a biopsy revealed she had cancer.

      Madeleine, 21, never thought she would be able to have children
       From January 2009 she underwent a four-hour chemotherapy session every two weeks for six months, notching up 48 hours of treatment.
     Madeline said: 'I was in my bedroom when my mum came in. She sat down, very calm, very composed.
    'She said I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I had cancer.
    'I had a lurching feeling in my stomach. It didn't make sense, it didn't feel real. It was overwhelming.
    'I was a very lively, bubbly person but during treatment I felt rotten for months. I had no energy but my family and friends were really supportive.'
    The treatment made Madeleine so weak she caught pneumonia but despite her illness she was given to news that her treatment had been successful in August 2009 and her cancer had gone into remission.
    Life returned to normal, Madeleine began to see friends and got a job in the clothing store TK Maxx.
    But on January 12, 2010, Madeleine's world came crashing down for a second time when she received the news a routine CT scan had shown the cancer had returned.
    She was rushed into 'salvage chemotherapy' and endured three gruelling 90 hour sessions in isolation - a further 270 hours. 
It was during her recovery in the weeks following her treatment that Madeline met her partner        Stephen, a postman, while having a quiet drink with friends.
     Madeleine, who lives in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, said: 'My friends wanted to take me out as a treat.
     'I had been in isolation for a long time during my treatment so we went a drink in Kilmarnock and Stephen was there.
'I had a wig on because I lost my hair, I told him my story and it went from there.'
    Following the treatment Madeleine was transferred to the Beatson Cancer Centre in Glasgow to replace stem cells destroyed during her treatment.
    Madeleine's brother Gary, now 24, and Carleen, 26, were tested and her sister proved a perfect match.
     But just weeks before the operation Carleen fell pregnant and couldn't donate.
     Madeleine Telfer during cancer treatment in March 2010, when she wore a wig
     Madeleine added: 'I thought I was cursed. Nothing was going right.
'I was happy for my sister because she had been trying for a baby for a while, but I was devastated that it meant she couldn't donate.'
      Madeleine was given the all clear at the beginning of May 2010.
She added: 'I was over the moon, I was just so happy.
'It also meant that stem cells that I had removed during my treatment, which we were saving, could be put back into me.'
      Madeleine returned home and enjoyed Christmas with her family.
     Her dreams came true in March last year when she found out she was pregnant, something she had given up hope on two years earlier.
     Madeleine was over the moon and gave birth to baby Harris on November 27 last year after just a three hour labour.
     She said: 'I couldn't believe it I did about five tests to make sure.
'Life is now just fantastic. I couldn't be happier. He is a little miracle.
    'I have come through a lot and as a result I am a completely different person.
     'We would love Harris to be joined by a wee brother or sister but I appreciate everything I have. Everything is wonderful.'

 (COPYRIGHT: Daily Mail - .dailymail.co.uk)

No comments: